Apple Granola Crisp

While visiting family in beautiful Malibu, CA I wanted to make a big dessert for everyone that was something amazing and yet healthy. My husbands side of the family has a major sweet tooth (including my husband) so everyone was craving sweets but didn't want the sugar. Soooo... we thought long and hard, and came up with this amazing dessert!! I love apple crisp and its also my Dad's favorite dessert so when I get home I know he will be begging me for this!! I did the filling and then actually used my granola recipe for the topping and it came out great!! The combination of protein powder, flax meal, and almond meal when baked with coconut oil, actually gave it this crumbly brown sugar taste and texture... I was surprised how perfect was!!
Match this with some homemade ice cream OR in a bowl topped with cream OR or even with yogurt in the AM and you got yourself one amazing yet guilt free dessert!! Enjoy!


Filling:
6 mcintosh or granny smith apples, pealed & sliced
grated zest of 1 orange
grated zest of 1 lemon
2 TBS freshly squeezed orange juice
2 TBS freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup swerve (OR your choices of sweetener)
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg

Topping:
1 cup peacons, chopped
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup almonds
1 cup cashews, chopped
1/2 cup flax meal
1/2 cup almond meal
3/4 cup protein powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup swerve (OR your choice of sweetener)
1-1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup almond butter


Preheat 350 / Servings 10
~ Peal and slice all apples. Place apples in large bowl and add all filling ingredients. stir together so all apples are coated
~ In separate bowl combine pecans, walnuts, almonds, cashews, flax meal, almond meal, protein powder, salt and cinnamon.
~ In sauce pan over medium-low heat combine coconut oil, swerve and almond butter until melted and smooth.
~ Pour coconut oil sauce over nuts and stir together until completely saturated
~ Spray large baking dish. Place apples on bottom and top with nut topping... spread out so all apples are covered.
~ bake for 50-60 minutes or until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment